DoD SkillBridge - Service Technician Apprentice
TAIT is proud partner of the DoD SkillBridge Program and is proud to offer career opportunities to U.S. Armed Forces members as a way of recognizing the unique skills and qualities that our military personnel possess. The DoD SkillBridge Program is an opportunity for service members to gain valuable civilian work experience through specific industry training, apprenticeships, or internships during the last 180 days of service. Please visit our website at TAIT.com to learn more about the opportunities available.
- Current Active Duty Servicemember
- Separating from the Military in 4-12 months
- Able to complete a minimum of 8 weeks and up to a maximum of 6 months SkillBridge apprenticeship
- Able to complete 40 hours per week
- Mechanically minded
This TAIT apprentice position will train the individual to become a Service Technician. The Service Technician plays a critical role in the environmental compliance efforts of our clients. Service Technicians test, maintain, and repair all refueling equipment for the petroleum industry, as well as commercial and municipal refueling facilities, marinas, and airports. The Technician will ensure that state and local regulatory directives regarding storage and monitoring systems are met. Technicians work closely with client personnel as a company representative, and perform maintenance and troubleshooting without direct supervision. This individual will serve as the eyes and ears of our clients, identifying and documenting all compliant and any observed non-compliant issues.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Complete required training classes, both in person and online, to obtain position required certifications.
- Complete and obtain 40-hour HAZWOPER certificate after initial 4-week training program.
- Complete training in the field with experienced Service Technicians and Designated Operators.
- A/B Operator Inspections, Monitoring System Certifications, Spill Bucket testing, vapor recovery testing, and other testing per state regulatory requirements.
- Diagnose and perform repairs on UST & AST systems.
- Work with handheld tools (pipe wrenches, pipe threader, voltmeter, etc.)
- Complete project associated paperwork as required and submit on time.
- Enter inspection data / associated paperwork into online web-based data collection systems using company laptop.
- Complete timecard and work orders daily.
- Drive company work truck to client job sites.
- Follow all company specific and client specific job safety requirements; maintain a safe working environment.
- Self-direction and ability to work alone.
Minimum Work Experience
- Valid & current Driver’s License and ability to drive extensively, sometimes up to 1,000 miles per week.
- Experience working with general handheld tools (pipe wrenches, pipe threader, voltmeter, etc.)
- Organization and scheduling skills.
- Previous experience with laptop/ computer and printer along with experience using email, and Microsoft programs.
Preferred Education and Skills Experience
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and a desire to function in a position of high visibility both internal and external to the company.
- Experience review and interpret reports and documents.
- Ability to work effectively & professionally with team & clients.
- Climbing ladders; carrying/ using hand tools & parts; lifting sump lids with assistance.
- Walking, driving, climbing, kneeling, standing to perform tasks at each site.
- Ability to speak clearly & professionally to communicate with team & clients.
- Ability to walk around job sites that may be dirt, cement, asphalt, uneven concrete, or other related surfaces.